Monday 10 September 2007

Maturity

Some have suggested that through travel one broadens their mind and becomes more mature. As I suck down yet another Acai, a drink made from the berries of a plant found only in the Amazon (and would you believe touted by the all knowledgeable Oprah Winfrey as this years “Super food”), I am forced to consider this concept.

…it’s a load of rubbish really, isn’t it? As a rule one of my favorite past times when traveling is to laugh at the way people in other countries do things (classy huh?). I know this concept is probably not exactly “PC” but damn it, it’s my holiday and I’ll laugh if I want to.

…can you honestly tell me you wouldn’t have a small giggle about the fact that all poodles here seem to wear tiny little doggy shoes, or the fact that whilst in Chile, I was fortunate enough to actually witness the blind leading the blind? …I’m serious

One chap got rather tired of waggling his cane around, got bored and instead put his hand on his mates shoulder, forcing him, in turn, to take over all the stick waggling requirements. The one thing the leader forgot is that he now needed to waggle in a wider arch due to the increased width of the two fused companions. To be fair, they never faltered and never tripped, but I must admit, there was a little black part of my soul that was yearning for a small “funny home videos” style incident.….I’m going to hell aren’t?


So all in all, whilst people hang one handed out of 12 story building to wash the outside of the glass and the orthodontist van parks near my house offering discount, roadside, dental tune ups, this place will keep me entertained for quite some time…although I don’t think I need to see too many more 70 year old men jogging around the block in just a pair of shoes, socks and a striking pair of budgie smugglers. Graphic!


…If at all possible I’ll try and get some photos so you can truly appreciate the ludicrousy of some of these facts…just don’t hold your breath for a photo of the “blind leading the blind””, I’m guessing that may have been a one off.




Red wine and ice cream, together at last...actually it was pretty nice
It's almost as as if they had trains developed by people who'd only heard about them. "They're kinda like giant underground buses (note the fact the train has tyres).

Ï was impressed by the fold up steel cage that went over the car and buses windows...surprisingly my mate from Northern Ireland was less interested in heavily armoured police vehicles.

I'm not sure this beer brand has international marketing potential?... we later found out that it is widely considered the best Chilean beer.

No comments: